Ricky M.- Living in the Philippines

Sunday, August 06, 2006

In Subic

Yesterday, my friend called at the morning and told me that the outing they had been planning was pushing through. I rushed, packing my clothes, and was in her place within two hours. Instead of going to Laguna for an evening swim with friends, they decided instead to swim in Subic Bay. I'm not really fond of beaches. I'm actually paranoid about jellyfishes and undercurrents which I have frequently heard about, but anyway I decided to go.

We decided to stop in S.M. Pampanga to buy our food for Subic. It was a long time since I've been to Subic, so I didn't really know what to expect. Being with girls, I figured the nightclub hopping in the area was out. The first thing we had to do was of course drop our belongings to the place which would accomodate us. Our vehicle went straight for the bay and we started to lug our baggage out. The person in charge of the trip led the way and walked towards the pier. She continued, then I figured, we must be going to a yacht. We did. It so happened that she knew the caretaker of the yacht, and the she said that the owner had allowed her uncle(who was the caretaker) to allower his relatives on board. I later remembered that the three girls we were with were all related, they were all nieces of the caretaker.

Lucky me. It's been a long time that I was aboard a yacht. The yacht wouldn't sail though, but being in it was an experience enough. It was a sailboat, but had a motor just in case. We took off our shoes and looked around. The roof seemed to be made of some plastic non-slippery material. I figured it was made to be stepped on. On the roof were little doors like hatches to allow the air in the cabins. The seats at the back where we boarded could be opened in order to stow some things. And the wooden flooring, was finished in such a way that it would be water resistant. Inside were tables which could be used for eating, socializing and even navigating. Maps were under the plastic covers of the tables. There were instruments too. There had radar, an instrument for measuring the depth of the water and global positioning system. It seemed quite impressive for a sailboat. Of course there were instruments for the motor and lots of switches for other things. Several radios for emergencies were also in view.

The bedrooms were such that it was only a bed. It seemed more of a bunk. From the corridor, you look to the left and instead of seeing a room, you see a bed. The bed would be raised several feet off the floor. They probably had a storage area below it. The bed was raised such that if you sat up your head would just about hit the ceiling. The bathrooms were quite small. The toilet seat was round instead of oval. The whole where everything would be flushed through was a lot smaller and there was no storage of water at the back. You would have to press a button in front of you and the electric motor would pour water in. They also had a kitchen which was fully functional. The caretaker said that water and electricity could be taken from the pier.

Lacking in sleep and anticipating the evening swim, I decided to take a nap in the small, but comfortable bed.

That night we went to the bay to take a swim. It was slightly raining it was a new experience from me being in a beach without the sun. Usually when I go to the beach, I go to the water with my trunks during the day, but just take a stroll fully clothed at night and enjoy the breeze. Today I was wearing trunks in the dead of the night sitting wet with the waves washing towards me. My other friends were busy swimming and playing in the water. At least the place was brightly lit. There were strong lamps at equal intervals for quite a distance in the shallow part of the beach. The lamps were standing in about two feet of water. We finished the trip drinking at night before going home to manila.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home