Ricky M.- Living in the Philippines

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Changing Technology

When our family was complete in one afternoon, my sister was busy doing her work in her notebook computer on the dinner table while the rest of us were conversing in the sala. My sister is one of the executives in a multinational company in which she is working in. Earlier she started asking us about how to do certain things in her Powerpoint application. Surprisingly her very own goddaughter came to the rescue and started rattling out commands on what to do and even on how to improve her work. Then her goddaughter's twin steps in and he too adds his share of comments.

Children nowadays start young. At 10 years old they already know not only word processing but also Powerpoint, a presentation tool. In school, they are not allowed to give reports in manila paper which we are all too familiar with when we were young. They are only allowed to use Powerpoint or an overhead projector with content coming from a computer printout. The students each have a Yahoo email address and know how to put attachments in their messages.

Last year when coming home late from a night out, my mother caught me coming in and requested me to send an email to her friend. Being wide awake, I proceeded to turn on the computer and send her email. She had a shocked look on her face. I asked why and she said with a straight face "My friend is asleep at this hour, she might wake up!" My mom at best is just familiar with the fax machine. And she probably assumed that I would have to call her friend up and possibly wake her up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home